The primary mission of the Center for Sexual Health Promotion (CSHP) is to conduct rigorous research related to sexual and reproductive health and behaviors as well as to train the next generation of scholars working in our field.
The CSHP is a collaborative of faculty, primarily from the Indiana University School of Public Health, but also across the Indiana University campuses as well as strategic academic partners around the world. We conduct research both in the U.S. and internationally and our work informs the development and delivery of relevant and evidence-based sexual and reproductive health promotion initiatives and interventions.
The Center for Sexual Health Promotion, based in School or Public Health-Bloomington at Indiana University, was formalized in 2007 by a large private foundation grant for core support and has consistently maintained sponsored research initiatives with competitive funding from multiple institutes within the National Institutes of Health; our decade-long Partnership for Sexual Health Promotion with Church & Dwight, Co., Inc.; the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation; The Patty Brisben Foundation for Women’s Sexual Health; numerous individual philanthropists; as well as a wide range of federal, private and corporate funding agencies.
The primary goals of the Center for Sexual Health Promotion are:
- To conduct rigorous research in sexual and reproductive health (SRH) that:
- is consistent with the SRH objectives established by leading public health entities
- strives to be progressive with regard to scope, methodologies, and application.
- To facilitate research training to future SRH scholars and practitioners through both research experience and linkages to strategic partners on campus and in the community.
- To work toward a more seamless continuum between sexual health research and the development of effective public health interventions and policies.
- To partner with community-based organizations and governmental entities both domestically and abroad to foster participatory and mutually beneficial research, education, and service.
- To provide education on sexual health topics to students and community-based health and education professionals through a variety of creative and collaborative mechanisms and in ways that consider the benefits of technology-based and distance learning methods.
- To support a sustainable climate within public health that recognizes the importance of SRH to the health, joy, and well-being of humans.
- To serve as a collaborative partner to other academic departments, institutes, and centers.
Our Funding for Sexual Health Research, Education and Training
Projects of the Center for Sexual Health Promotion are currently, or have been previously, funded by:
- American Insitute of Bisexuality
- Church & Dwight, Co., Inc.
- For Goodness Sake, LLC
- Friends of the Kinsey Institute
- Indiana Clinical & Translational Sciences Initiative (CTSI)
- Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH)
- Indiana University Institute for Advanced Study
- Indiana University Office of the Vice Provost for International Affairs
- Indiana University Office of the Vice Provost for Research
- Indiana University School of Public Health-Bloomington
- Marion County Health Department
- National Institute of Allergy & Infectious Disease (NIAID)
- National Institute of Child Health & Human Development (NICHD)
- National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
- National Institute on Minority Health & Health Disparities (NIMHD)
- The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- The Health Foundation of Greater Indianapolis
- The Joseph F. Miller Foundation
- The Patty Brisben Foundation
- The Picower Foundation
- U.S. Department of Education
- U.S. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)